Hi y’all, my name is Cecilia Dominic, and I’m really excited to be here. Since this blog is a new project and we’re getting to know each other, here are five fun facts about me:
1. In my day job, I’m a psychologist. I specialize in behavioral sleep medicine, which means that most of my patients are insomnia patients seeking to sleep without using medication. Yes, some of my patients do know about my other life. No, I don’t recommend my books as sleep aids. 😉
2. I love to wear fun toenail polish. My toes are currently a beautiful shade of shiny seafoam green. The nail polish name – Atlantis.
3. I love to cook and eat and, okay, fine, I’ll admit to being a total foodie. My current new favorite food is octopus. I even dreamed about going fishing and catching one last night. Don’t worry, I threw it back.
My biggest food weakness and the way to my heart: my sweet tooth, and I love to bake. My love of food and all things chocolate definitely make it into my stories. For example, in my second Lycanthropy Files book, the heroine’s aunt leaves her these Italian brownies (pictured along with a roulage in progress during the holidays):
4. I have always wanted to be an actress. My Belgian godmother was a semi professional actress, and I remember going to visit her at her theater and seeing a play. I couldn’t understand any of the production, which was in Dutch, but I do vividly remember the costumes. I’ve always been fascinated how people can become someone else, whether it’s for the span of a few hours as on the stage or for longer as when someone assumes a false identity. Writing allows me to do that and to help my readers escape into the characters as well. And I’ll admit that Cecilia Dominic is a bit of a persona. This really is my secret identity.
5. When I was a child, I imagined having psychic powers such as the ability to move objects with my mind. I still often dream – and wish – that I had that ability. Although I have not yet written a telekinetic character, each of the heroines in my Aether Psychics steampunk series has her own special specific ability. In an alternate 1870-1871 when the Civil War still rages on, and the world is desperate for a new power source, women have to fight even harder for their freedom. Sometimes extra talent is a two-edged sword, which makes it oh-so-much fun to play with as a writer.
If you’d like to know more about me, you can read my Wolfpack author interview by clicking on my name on the interviews page.